For two or three years I wanted to work seriously with Arduino. During this time I have done the same basic LED exercises again and again. Just for keeping alive my basic knowledge. Finally and luckily, I had to visit the Advanced Microcontroller lecture by Laurent Mignonneau. Laurent is the definition of a Geek himself. Not much talking, just doing, and a fucking huge amount of knowledge in electronics and programming. The assignment for his lecture was to create SOMETHING with a low resolution screen. Really advanced examples of a low resolution screen are the androp project (Making of | strobo animation) or Laurent's solar display (concept).
More than 2 years ago I wrote a blog post about Flash Game Programming. Since this blog post until today a lot of actions happens in the Flash Game Community. Some Flash Game Developer created great classes, libraries and frameworks, which makes our life as a Flash Game Developer so much simpler. In this blog post I would like to give a short overview which tools are available at the moment.
General Frameworks & Classes
In this category you can find tools, which solve some common problems like resource management, loading processes, screen management, level management and so on
- Push Button Engine (all in one Solution for all kind of games) | Video Tutorial | YouTube
- Flixel (all in on Solution for 2D Games) | Tutorial 1 and 2 | Detail 1 and 2 | DAME Editor
- Bold Pixel Engine (all in on Solution for 2D Games) | Review | Tutorials
- Glaze (physics, AI,Screen Management, UserInput)
- Citrus Flash Game Engine (all in one Solution and Box2D) | Leveleditor
- Flash Punk (collision detection, bitmap-based rendering, User Input, ...) | Tutorial
PixelBlitz Engine (collision detection, bitmap-based rendering, User Input, ...) AS Data Structures for Game Developers **outdatet**
- AS HIVE (Loading Media and XML Assets, Screen Management, MVC Structure)
Rendering and 3D Libraries
This topic handles the issues of visual renderings. Some renderers delivers nice editors for creating game levels
- Papervision 3D (Editor)
- Alternativa 3D
- Yogurt 3D | Tutorial
- Away 3D
- Minko 3D Engine (GPU Renderer)
- Sandy 3D
- as3isolib (Isometric) (Editor) | Tutorial
- FFilmation (Isometric) (Editor)
- OpenSpace (Isometric)
diesel blitting engine (bitmap based)
- Flash Punk (bitmap based) | Tutorial
- Starling Framework (GPU 2d Renderer) | Introduction | pdf | video
Physic Engines and Collision Detection
You want to add almost realistic behaviour to your game. Here are some engines which helps you
- JigLib (3d Physics)
- Flare 3D Physics (Tutorials)
- AlternativaPhysics (3d Physics)
WOW Engine (3d Physics) APE 2D Physic Engine
- Box2D (Tutorials)
Motor2 (very powerful 2D Physic Engine) **outdatet**
- Glaze (2D Rigid Body Engine)
Foam (2D Rigid Body Engine)
- Nape Game Dynamics (2D Rigid Body Engine based also on haXe)
- Collision Detection Kit - Examples (just for collision detection)
Hier eine kleine geordnete Zusammenfassung meiner wichtigsten Twittermeldungen:
- New Book! AdvancED Flash on Devices: Mobile Development with Flash Lite and Flash 10 from Friends of ED
- New Flash Lite UI Components. A Flash MXP package for Flash and Project Capuchin developers
- Inspiration: Mobile E-Learning Kit
- Mobile Augmented Reality Map Application Layar looks nice
- Search engine for Flash Developer Content which is called HexoSearch. It looks very cool!
- Interview: Future of TV with Flash Technology ...I don't like the idea, because they forgot the lean back mentality
- Flash Love Letter 2009. A very interesting Blog Post for all Flash (Game) Developer!
- Nice Blog for Flash SEO Optimizing Experiments http://www.flashnseo.com/ and here nice FAQs for Flash SEO
- Flash Content and Google Search Engine -> Flash and some new SEO improvements
- VideoStreaming Lösung für Flash und(!) iPhone von OnlineLib
- REally nice slides about the whole Flash development process from gSkinner
- nice presentation. Google Analytics for Flash. Know what our users do!
- uhh the Axiis Core Functionality Video Tutorials looks really nice. Maybe a very good alternative to the Flex Charts
- Blueprint a PlugIn for centric Programming in Flex and Flash Builder. It looks very nice!
- Parsley 2.0 - Application Framework für Flex/Flash/AIR released.
- Reading Overview of Flex 4 (Gumbo)
- Migrating from Flex 3 to Flex 4 (Gumbo)